Re: [ft-devel] A small post about the v40 interpreter

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] A small post about the v40 interpreter
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 23:08:11 +0200

You forgot to mention cleartype patents. How can you advocate for
default subpixel hinting without default subpixel rendering? I think
all of this is premature.

Eh, Microsoft is doing exactly that in their universal apps stuff. Have a look at screenshots of Edge :) Also, if subpixel rendering isn't turned on, the slight autohinter will give you the same blurry gray as the native TT hinter. See screenshots of Fedora. None of this would be a real problem if we had stem darkening everywhere and libraries would do linear alpha blending + gamma correction.