Re: [ft-devel] GETVARIATION and GETDATA

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GETVARIATION and GETDATA
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 22:13:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 17/7/16, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> And now I remember
 again: The font is OK, there are *no* undocumented
 instructions at all!  It properly uses IDEF
 everywhere.  While
 unusual, this is fully
 valid bytecode, even on MS engines.  In other
 words, Microsoft removed support for
 GETVARIATION and GETDATA in its
 bytecode
 engine but forgot to update the validator program.

Argh - I think I understand it a lot better than I did a year ago now. It is
not that the two font uses Apple-specific instructions, but that it does things
Microsoft-specific way, and depends on the rendering engine being non-Apple.
:-).

Same thing - I think a proper description of the problem is that "these font
use instructions which have different meanings on different rendering engines".

The validator program does flag Skia.ttf having Apple-specific instructions
also, but that's fully expected that Apple ships fonts with apple-specific
instructions.