Re: [ft-devel] [freetype2] master 3ec6465: Explain how to build a PIC-en

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [freetype2] master 3ec6465: Explain how to build a PIC-enabled version of FreeType.
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 13:35:50 +0200 (CEST)

> Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> > What does mean?  Shared libraries are definitely PIC code.  Me not
>> > understand.
>>
>> As written:
>>
>>   Setting this macro is needed for systems that prohibit address
>>   fixups, such as BREW.
>>
>> gcc or clang is capable of automatically doing address fixups, BREW is
>> not.
>>
>> I've just add this piece of information.
>
> This is confusing.  PIC support is a toolchain feature and has
> nothing to do with support from the source code.  In fact, marking
> the source directory or module as not PIC capable is confusing even
> more.

Yeah, but I don't know how to call this BREW stuff correctly.  It
seems to be related to the SDK available from

  https://developer.brewmp.com

I guess that older versions (or even the current one?) have this
restriction.

So maybe

  s/FT_CONFIG_OPTION_PIC/FT_CONFIG_OPTION_BREWMP/

is helpful?  Or are there other compilers with that need this
functionality?