[ft-devel] DejaVuSans.ttf and v40

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] DejaVuSans.ttf and v40
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 00:57:05 +0000 (UTC)

I have finally upgraded to 2.7 system-wide. Mostly it seems
that stems are thicker, or more black - it takes a bit of getting
used to; some on-line comments seem to prefer the "cleaner"
v35 look. (by cleaner, I think they mean "thinner"...).

Anyway, one web page which looks rather terrible on my system
both before and after upgrade is:

http://www.tailrecursive.org/postscript/escapes.html

I took a look at the css and found that it asks for Lucida (which my display
does not have) and etc, eventually fontconfig seems to use DejaVuSans.ttf
instead.

And DejaVuSans.ttf looks very bad at 10 ppem, with both v35 and v40. Actually
it seems to be poorer with v40. (narrower)

Under v38, almost all the gyphs widen, and get more readable.

The Microsoft Lucida* (Sans Typewriter, or Console) fonts don't seem to
widen/narrow much if at all between v35, v38 and v40.

Lastly - since v40 is now the default, why can't we have v38 compiled in by
default
also? There were good reasons not to before 2.6.4 because the highest was
the default, but it would be nice to compile it in by default for people who
like
choices (or want to experiments and continues to improve v40 against v38)?