[ft-devel] b66 Re: maxp.maxStackElements (e: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] b66 Re: maxp.maxStackElements (e: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 141, Issue 4)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 11:31:50 +0000 (UTC)

I have just pushed b66 out. It detects a a whole bunch of much rarer font
problems,
plus tightening the maxp.maxStackElements check.
https://github.com/HinTak/Font-Validator/commit/2b413602ea05448421d6390656f91ce95a8a4d01

You should be able to update FontVal 2.0 by just grabbing the newer the
libfreetype.6.dylib and replacing the one bundled with FontVal 2.0.

Sorry I don't have any plan of making another FontVal release any time soon; I
only just checked the new 32-bit windows patched freetype dll works correctly;
so if libfreetype.6.dylib doesn't work on the mac, try the windows dlls.

FontVal already checks maxFunctionDefs, maxInstructionDefs, maxStorage quite
specifically, and also largely maxTwilightPoints, not sure about
maxSizeOfInstructions . I think if you go over maxSizeOfInstructions there
would be one of the generic "value outside bound" error messages; FreeTypes add
4 to maxTwilightPoints (implementation details) - not quite for the same
reason, but the outcome is similar - i.e. when you choose a low
maxTwilightPoints and starts to get errors, add 4 for the real limit.

Enjoy.