Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Clean-up of af_loader_load_glyph()
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 12:43:29 +0100

Aren't these conceptually incompatible with the autohinter method
of snapping outer edges to the grid to achieve sharpness?

I don't think so, cf. the `warping' code in the auto-hinter.

So this support would only be relevant for warping?

No.  It's not related.  I just want to point you to the warper that
does try to micro-optimize the horizontal positioning of a glyph.

Okay, but my question is, would this "subpixel hinting support" in the AH be relevant to LIGHT (Y-axis only) or NORMAL (X+Y-axis) mode? My guess would be no. LIGHT doesn't touch the X-axis, NORMAL by nature adjusts to pixel integers. So the warper would be the only use case? Or am I misunderstanding?

By the way, I found that the warper modifies advance widths. I guess you could compensate for that by twiddling the scaler deltas?

Come to think of it, hinting glyphs (native or autohinter) always
rounds advance widths to integer pixels iirc.

Yes.

Wouldn't that need to change, too, for fractional advance widths?

Correct.  It would be possible to adapt and re-use the warper code for
non-integer positioning.  Whether this is useful, beautiful, fast
enough, etc., etc., is another issue.

Well, wouldn't it be easier to stop rounding to pixels integers instead if the hinting doesn't change the advance widths anyway?