Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 142

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 142, Issue 13)
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 14:37:42 +0000 (UTC)

 Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 11:55:24 +0100
 From: Vincent Torri <address@hidden>
 To: address@hidden
 Subject: Re: [ft-devel] freetype and harfbuzz

<snipped>
> Actually, it is exactly the case a friend has, and I am
 asking this
 question for him because he is a bit busy. He is working on
 an
 installer for Windows. But it seems that the design of his
 installer
 makes difficult to resolve the circular dep with the 3 steps
 mentioned
 above.

Why is it a problem - and also, how often do you need to build it? and which
tool chain (msvc or mingw gcc) are you using?

If you don't need to do it too often, you can just do it once and keep the
binaries and be done with it.

If you need to do it often - like I do with a patched freetype dll as part of
another thing - you still don't need to do all three steps all the time.

I have a static harfbuzz having dynamic dependency to unmod'ed freetype; and
build modified freetype dll which is linked with the static harfbuzz. So the
outcome is a modified dynamic freetype dll which have static harfbuzz built-in
. I only do step 3, mostly. The ABI interface between harfbuzz and freetype
don't really change all that much, if at all, between versions of either.