Re: [ft-devel] what old/new FontVal says about these fonts

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] what old/new FontVal says about these fonts
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 17:39:22 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Werner,

I think you only need to have another look at two files, 14.ttf and 24.ttc -
details below.

I am down to 1 file difference - 14.ttf . The hmtx table is missing/mis-spelt
alright. That does not seem to stop the FontVal 1.0 backend loading the glyf
and check rasterization/hinting. I tried by-passing that check in freetype - it
seems that it is possible to cope from incremental loading? but I did not get
ftdump to run. fails with 0002 - unknown file format?

The full validation have the usual candidates - missing htmx, plenty of table
checksum errors, postscript table has a lot of illegal characters, glyf table a
lot of intersecting contours, but strangely, no errors/warnings from
hinting/rasterization - that part is a pass!

FYI, out of the 29, (excluding the *.fon - not interested in them), FT 2.7
could not load any fully; 4 was fixed up to 3 weeks ago beyond 2.7; the 3
changes fixes 8,2,1 = 11 files further in total. So current git does not load
14 of them fully. Most of the 14 are CFF's which are done differently in
FontVal 1.0 so that's close enough, other than 14.ttf. (for my purpose I need
to know which fix fixes which font to insert some more code eventually....)

Also, I wrote 'fully' - type face 0 in 24.ttc seems to be mostly intact . That
may be why some other viewer can use it. Any chance of making that work a
little better?

Hin-Tak