[ft-devel] GSoC 2017 - CFF for Type 1

From: Ewald Hew
Subject: [ft-devel] GSoC 2017 - CFF for Type 1
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 08:41:26 +0000

Hi all,

I am Ewald, a Computer Science student and I am interested in working with FreeType for GSoC 2017. I am looking at the idea of adding Type 1 support to the CFF driver.

I have read through some parts of the code and have a rough idea of how things connect to one another. I thought of two possible ways to add Type 1 support. First, to rewrite the Type 1 decoder to translate Type 1 charstrings to Type 2, which the CFF driver can understand. Second, to adapt the Type 1 decoder to produce hinting output that can be used by the CFF driver. I ruled out the first option as it adds an additional layer of 'decoding' and does not seem efficient. Hence, I am leaning towards the second method and am in process of figuring out the differences between the hinter output of CFF and Type 1 decoders.

I am still trying to get a full picture of what this task would require and wonder if I am going in the right direction. I recognize that this is tagged as 'hard' and I fear I may have missed things that make it more difficult than I imagined. I would really appreciate any guidance or comments. Thank you.

Regards,
Ewald Hew
(Undergraduate in CS, National University of Singapore)