Re: [ft-devel] autohinter for LCD

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] autohinter for LCD
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 08:42:37 +0200 (CEST)

>> I am shocked to see that autohinter snaps stems when targeting LCD
>> as if MONO [...]

I don't see a problem.  The stem snapping happens at the threefold
horizontal resolution, so what?

> Uh, doesn't that just do "light" hinting on the x-axis?  E.g. adjust
> the outer edges of vertical stems to the pixel grid without changing
> stem width?  That would be compatible with the description of
> FT_LOAD_TARGET_LCD.  I don't think the autohinter can actually hint
> for mono display.

This is a misunderstanding due to bad wording, I think.  We are not
talking about mono rendering on LCD.

>> I was actually contemplating making LCD synonymous to LIGHT.
>
> How about altogether removing hinting of vertical stems? ;)

Definitely not.  The `strong' auto-hinter is not that bad as you two
are implying, IMHO, and maybe someone comes and further improves it.

>> I suspect this bug is intentional to deal with color fringes
>> without filtering.

Maybe, yes.  However, I don't see a bug.  You first have to prove that
you get better LCD results without stem snapping :-)