Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 09:46:59 -0400

>> /*
>> *  TODO: This code currently doesn't support fractional advance widths,
>> *  i.e., placing hinted glyphs at anything other than integer
>> *  x-positions.  This is only relevant for the warper code, which
>> *  scales and shifts glyphs to optimize blackness of stems (hinting on
>> *  the x-axis by nature places things on pixel integers, hinting on the
>> *  y-axis only, i.e., LIGHT mode, doesn't touch the x-axis).  The delta
>> *  values of the scaler would need to be adjusted.
>> */
>>
>> I guess it's obsolete now?
>
> Not yet IMHO.  We should wait until we have a `normal' warping mode
> (as suggested by Alexei).

This sounds like a plan. Fractional advances will wait until the next
release. Specifically, would you agree with this plan?

- Autohinter warping option will migrate from LIGHT to NORMAL
- Autohinter LIGHT and LCD modes will switch to fractional advances
- Native TrueType v40 will switch to fractional advances

Re v40, do you follow GETINFO bits
https://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/truetypecleartype.aspx#Toc227035734
? FreeType CFF also has LIGHT mode, I think. What about Adobe CFF?

Alexei