[ft-devel] git advice Re: Three GSoC students for FreeType ( Re: Freetyp

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] git advice Re: Three GSoC students for FreeType ( Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 148, Issue 16)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 00:35:30 +0000 (UTC)

Actually Werner's preference to have rebase regularly might be a bit disrupting
to students who are trying out git and doing wild things at the same time...
there are going to be a lot of collisions, etc, if one is also trying stuff out.

What I'd suggest is this. git is extremely efficient with creating branches and
switching branches. so

You can do

    git remote add work_of_the_other_student
https://gitbub/theotherstudent/freetype

to track the other student's work.
to sync, do
    git fetch --all

to see what branches the other person had created,

    git branch -r

and you can do "git log <branchname>", "git show <commit>" of others.

'git cherry-pick' is your friend. Also, if I anticipate rebase collisions, I'd
branch first. i.e.

     git checkout -b <new_branch_to_be_rebased> <current>
to keep <current>, but do rebase on <new_branch_to_be_rebased> . If there is no
conflict, etc, I'll delete the old branch; if there is
anything painful that requires a manual cherry-pick and re-org, just 'git
rebase --abort' isn't such a big deal .

Oh, in other words, I am proposing that students keeps as many branches as
possible, and possibly pushes as many of them out to github for record, but
keeping their branch numbers on savanah small. (one for 'cleaned up for
Werner', one for 'wip for others to comment' etc).