Re: [ft-devel] Major bug with varfonts named instances when avar table p

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Major bug with varfonts named instances when avar table present
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 10:12:43 +0100

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 8:17 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> If avar is present, loading of named instances goes wrong.  Patch
> attached.

Thanks, applied.

Thanks.

> Also fixes what I think was an unset psid for named instances.

This is not necessary, AFAICS.  `psid' defaults to zero (this happens
during allocation of the structure), which isn't a valid value.  I've
documented that properly.

Humm??  Nameid zero is very valid...

I see you changed it to 0xFFFFFFFF though.  I still like my patch better.  If postScriptNameID is available in fvar table but some entries miss it, they will report 0xFFFF.  So, you either should convert those to 0xFFFFFFFF as well, or just do what my patch did.

There's precedent in other parts of the spec of using 0xFFFF to mean "non-existent name-id".

Also, your patch says only namdID 6, ... valid.  That's also wrong.