Re: [ft-devel] glyph metrics don't match bitmap size (2.8.1)

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] glyph metrics don't match bitmap size (2.8.1)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 14:06:10 -0400

>> > Is there any way to determine the final bitmap size without
>> > rendering it, or could it be added in a future version?
>

> Might be a good idea to add a function for that.  I agree with the pain
> being inflicted on the clients here.

https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-base_interface.html#FT_LOAD_BITMAP_METRICS_ONLY
I proposed expanding FT_LOAD_BITMAP_METRICS_ONLY flag to work for
outline glyphs as well. If I understand correctly this should help
with GPU font atlases, rectangle packing, whatever is the Skia
issue... The stars aligned for the recipients list.