Re: [ft-devel] New FreeType release within a week

From: Ewald Hew
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New FreeType release within a week
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 11:18:58 +0800

> . Ewald, I suggest that we simply increase the allowed number of hints
>   for Type 1 fonts – we can still fix this later if really needed.

The allowed number of hints is set by the value `CF2_MAX_HINTS'
defined in `pshints.h', this value determines the amount of memory
allocated for the hintmap records and hintmask too. So we can increase
the limit to something higher but really only as a temporary fix, I
think. Does 360 sound good (since the one had 344 hints)?

As for a long-term fix, fortunately, hintmasks are not used in Type 1,
so we can focus on the hint records. These could use an ArrStack
instead, removing the arbitrary limit on Type 1 fonts, while adding
checks to enforce the limit for CFF.

Ewald