[ft-devel] build ttfautohint without freetype-config script

From: Cosimo Lupo
Subject: [ft-devel] build ttfautohint without freetype-config script
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 12:09:08 +0000

Hi Werner,

The freetype-config script seems to be required in order to build ttfautohint.
The configure.ac errors if it cannot find one.
However, building freetype library with cmake, or with nmake (visual studio), does not install that script to the prefix bin.
If I understand well, that's simply a wrapper for pkg-config, or for systems that don't have pkg-config, to get the C preprocessor flags and libraries options to link with freetype.
Would it be possible to modify the configure.ac so that if the freetype-config script is not found, or if it's set to some empty variable, then the user can provide custom FREETYE_CPPFLAGS and FREETYPE_LIBS variables?
Or another option would be to modify the freetype CMakeList.txt to also configure and install the freetype-config script.

That would allow me to use cmake at least for building freetype (and harfbuzz). For ttfautohint itself, that's more complicated because of gnulib (I've asked on the cmake mailing list for help).

Thank you,

Cosimo

--
Cosimo Lupo