Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint without freetype-config script (Re: Freetype-

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint without freetype-config script (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 156, Issue 10)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 21:27:51 +0000 (UTC)

I cannot find an authoritative source of reference for PKG_CONFIG in
cross-compilation, but here are a few non-authoritative sources:

https://github.com/alexcrichton/pkg-config-rs/issues/41
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23202146/cannot-find-pkg-config-error
https://autotools.io/pkgconfig/cross-compiling.html

So it appears that it already has some fairly specific meaning and usage, like
$PATH . Well, you can set $PATH = true/false and not use its usual meaning, but
that's confusing and break some other people's workflow... in any case, I
checked my last fontval backend build log - PKG_CONFIG is certainly set to the
cross-'ed version of pkg-config to allow the cross-compiler to find the
relevant bits in a cross-compiling situation. I'd suggest you use a different
variable name. Just anything else, like PKG_CONFIG_PRESENT , for example.