Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint without freetype-config script

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ttfautohint without freetype-config script
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 09:43:01 +0100 (CET)

> I cannot find an authoritative source of reference for PKG_CONFIG in
> cross-compilation, but here are a few non-authoritative sources:
>
> https://github.com/alexcrichton/pkg-config-rs/issues/41
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23202146/cannot-find-pkg-config-error
> https://autotools.io/pkgconfig/cross-compiling.html

Those links don't touch the issue at all, AFAICS.  The `pkg.m4' is not
developed by me but distributed with pkg-config.  It's a matter of
fact that you can enforce the use of the `FREETYPE_CFLAGS' and
`FREETYPE_LIBS' environment variables by setting `PKG_CONFIG' to true.
IMHO, it's an elegant solution if you don't want to use pkg-config,
for whatever reason.

People who intentionally use `PKG_CONFIG' that way normally know what
they are doing :-)