Re: [ft-devel] [Rendering Regressions] Outlines vs. Bitmaps

From: Armin Hasitzka
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [Rendering Regressions] Outlines vs. Bitmaps
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 19:17:18 +0100

Thanks for your input! :)

I have something like that in mind but I don't think that a complicated algorithm is needed here; we're basically working with two alpha bitmaps of (roughly) the same size. I would simply compare the bitmaps on a pixel-by-pixel basis, weigh the results by the max. possible difference and get the average of all differences. That way it would also be simple to add a threshold - may it be absolute or relative. In the end, the result can also be applied to a logarithmic scale - something that I would play around with to find the optimal solution for the needs of FreeType.