Re: [ft-devel] Question about getting started with freetype library

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Question about getting started with freetype library
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 10:44:59 +0200 (CEST)

> We are using an older Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit version here, as this is
> the current development platform for our embedded devices.
>
> I have limited knowledge of make, so I have tried make and make
> install, but get the following errors:
> In file included from
> /home/colin/dev/DTV_Trunk/3rd_party/freetype-2.9/src/autofit/autofit.c:35:0:
> /home/user/dev/trunk/3rd_party/freetype-2.9/src/autofit/afscript.h:35:11:
> error: 'HB_SCRIPT_ADLAM' undeclared here (not in a function)
>            HB_SCRIPT_ADLAM,
>            ^

This is a bug in the configure script (already fixed in git): You need
HarfBuzz library version 1.3.0 or newer.

> I'm also trying to avoid changing ftoption.h if that's at all
> possible, as we want to support multiple versions of freetype
> without changing the original code, although I am still unclear on
> if this is possible.

The most basic configuration is automatically done by the `configure'
script (in `builds/unix/configure', which is called by the top-level
`configure' wrapper).  I think it should just work out of the box.

> I would also be curious to know if there are any plans to put the
> library onto github, as we try to avoid using sourceforge after their
> business inserted adware into people's projects without informing
> them.

There are no plans for putting FreeType onto github.

Sourceforge is just a secondary host.  You might download from
Savannah instead, which is the first link given on
our download page (https://www.freetype.org/download.html)

  https://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/

> IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended to be received
> only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it
> may contain.  [...]

Uh, oh, you are aware that you've written to a public mailing list?