Re: [ft-devel] Regarding FT_CMap_ClassRec

From: Parth Wazurkar
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Regarding FT_CMap_ClassRec
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 10:54:37 +0530

>Alexei gave you a link.  To help you properly, however, we must know
>the real problem you are facing.  What do you want to do?

Actually I was studying the implementation of `gf_cmap_class`. While understanding cerain things I got confused with the working of CMap_Class of each driver.
Now after some research, I understand certain points they are:
1. Each font file may have multiple charmaps for different charachters.
2. The functions in FT_CMap_ClassRec i.e cmap_init, cmap_done, etc. Initializes the charmaps of different characters in FT_Face according to the font file.

Now bdf fonts are ASCII encoded, then why is their a provision of multiple encodings in its implementation?
Also, bdf fonts maintain a table for character wise encodings, whereas winfonts just maintains a pointer to the first charachter and a counter of number of characters to return character wise charmaps.

Now gf files are ASCII encoded, then what type of implementation should it have?

Thank you

--
Parth