Re: [ft-devel] Static website themes for API reference

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Static website themes for API reference
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 13:38:54 +0530

1) MkDocs Default:
https://nikramakrishnan.github.io/freetype-site/mkdocs/
. I don't like the background, but I guess this is of no importance
  right now.

MkDocs themes can be modified for the most part. I believe changing the
background will not be very hard.

. A _javascript_ buglet: After clicking into the search field, I have to
  hit the escape key twice to leave the search mode – at least I can't
  see any reason why hitting it only once shouldn't work.

On Chrome 67 (Windows 10), I am able to leave the search mode by
hitting the escape key once. This is true for Firefox Developer Edition
61.0b9 too.
I will test it with a Linux box too.

> 2) Material Theme:
> https://nikramakrishnan.github.io/freetype-site/material/

. Zooming once with `Ctrl +' to 110% makes the left TOC panel
  disappear.  Bad, since not necessary with the large browser window
  width IMHO.

. Looking at a subsection like `FreeType Version' and zooming to 150%
  makes the right sub-TOC panel disappear too.

Similar behaviour can be observed on the other two themes too, but at a
higher zoom level.
At 110%, the left panel collapses, accessible from the top left hamburger
button.
At 150%, the TOC collapses to the top left menu as well.

It seems that its CSS
doesn't handle wide displays gracefully; it is obviously optimized
for hand-held devices...

Agreed, not a very graceful way to handle larger displays, but given its
very accessible layout at normal zoom level, there has to be some
compromise.

. There is also a buglet somewhere in the _javascript_ code:

  . Do `Ctrl +' to zoom in so that the TOC panel disappears.
  . Open the upper left menu and click on `Home'.
  . Do `Ctrl 0' to reset the zoom, and the TOC panel looks as shown in
    the attached `material-bug.png' file.

. And another _javascript_ buglet: After clicking into the search field,
  I have to hit the escape key twice to leave the search mode.

I am not seeing these with both Chrome and Firefox. Would be great if
someone could test this on a similar setup as you.

. BTW, looking at the `FreeType Version' page, I think that the
  sub-TOC on the right side is too detailed.  Subsubsections like
  `input', `output', etc., are probably unnecessary.  In the middle
  column, there are again boxes with various widths, which I don't
  really like.

I believe this can be restricted, by extending the theme and making
a few changes.

> 3) ReadtheDocs theme:
> https://nikramakrishnan.github.io/freetype-site/readthedocs/

. At default zoom, there is a large gray area on the right side.  Bad.

. There is a severe _javascript_ bug.  After loading the page (or
  reloading with the `F5' key), I can't scroll the right panel,
  neither with the mouse (i.e., the touchpad) nor with the keyboard.
  I first have to go to Chrome's right slider and move the right panel
  down a bit, then scrolling works.  This happens also after I click
  the `Home' button on the left panel.  Very annoying.

. There's another _javascript_ buglet: After loading the page (or
  reloading with the `F5' key), then selecting a menu entry in the
  left panel that is not visible in the right panel, the link is not
  followed.  The solution is the same as described in the previous
  item.

. Aaand another bug: If I select the `FreeType Version' page, there is
  the

  string (which I like very much).  However, the `Core API' part in
  this string is not a link, which it definitely should be.

of good things in this theme, so I am discarding it as an option.

To summarize.

. I prefer the simple appearance of the right panel in `Default',
  without disturbing the eye too much while reading the text.

. I would like to have a

  navigation bar at the top.

. I prefer the appearance (and functionality) of the TOC panels in
  `Material'.

. I prefer the search of `Material'.

I have added the top navigation in `Material' and `Default' themes,
and also added the links to the chapter name, which redirects to that
chapter in the index (toc) page. This is a single line in Markdown,
and can be added by docmaker.

Please have a look at it!

About the tables being boxed and of variable width, I will try tweaking
the CSS a little bit to see if that can be `unboxed' and the width can
be fixed.

--
Nikhil