Re: [ft-devel] GSoC Status update and complete API reference website

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GSoC Status update and complete API reference website
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 13:02:38 +0530

Do you mean in the input or in the output?  Right now, `...' in the
input has two purposes.

(1) It is used as a poor-man's substitute for inline code snippets –
    the thing Nikhil is talking.

(2) It is *really* used for quotations, i.e., `foo' should be
    converted to ‘foo’.  Note that I prefer ‘foo’ over “foo”, since it
    is less intrusive to my eyes.

This should be disentangled.  However, I don't want to throw away (2)
completely.

Should I look at only changing inline code blocks, or all quotes (in input),
then?

If you want to retain (2) in the input, that will not be a problem because
we can change it in the output. Further, using 'foo' directly in input should
also not cause any problems.

Also, in the output, should we retain ‘ and ’ (‘... ’ ) or should
I change those to just single quotes ('..')?

> Do we have to change the quote style or your scripts can do it?

While the majority of `...' is case (1), we have a lot of (2) also.
In other words, a fully automated conversion is not possible IMHO.

It seems like there are 981 instances of quoted text in the docs.
I will try to come up with a method to automate this, if possible.

We can always do a manual cleanup later.

BTW, there is a buglet in the conversion script: Have a look at the
`note' section of

  https://nikramakrishnan.github.io/freetype-site/ft2-glyph_management/#ft_get_glyph

The current code in the header file starts with

  Because `*aglyph->advance.x' and '*aglyph->advance.y' are 16.16 ...

Note how the stuff between the two `*' gets incorrectly converted to
italics in the HTML output.

Will fix this, thanks.

--
Nikhil