Re: [ft-devel] completed CPAL/COLR support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] completed CPAL/COLR support
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 16:27:26 +0200 (CEST)

> - Can FreeType provide FT_IS_LAYERED macro so that they handled
>   separately? It is not nice to have to check for error in
>   FT_Palette_Select.

Hmm.  An `FT_IS_LAYERED(face)' macro isn't really helpful.  We would
rather need `FT_IS_LAYERED(face, glyph_index)'.  I don't see much
benefit in comparison to

  if ( FT_Get_Color_Glyph_Layer( ... ) )

as we have now.

> I am not sure if FT_HAS_COLOR covers it.

It does.

> - I asked earlier if FT_LOAD_NORECURSE works for layered glyphs.
>   Can we use a reserved pointer to store the palette data in this
>   case?  We have 'void* other' in FT_GlyphSlot.

FT_LOAD_NORECURSE is for composite glyphs only.  I don't want to abuse
it for glyph layers, inspite of some similarities.  Just imagine if
you have both composite glyphs and colored glyph layers...