Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Plans for the Finale of Fuzzing for FreeType

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] Plans for the Finale of Fuzzing for FreeType
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 00:45:48 +0200

> Hi Armin,

Hi pat, great to see you :D

> My graduate student Zeming has been making good progress this term on TTF
> bytecode analysis. So we don't have a corpus, but we can now easily manipulate
> bytecode for existing fonts. If there's anything specific you have in mind, we
> should figure out whether we can make that happen.

Oh cool!  Feel free to use any fonts that are suitable for you in
https://github.com/cherusker/freetype2-testing/tree/master/fuzzing/corpora :)
A quick wish list:

- fonts that contain (small) glyph bitmaps (all drivers)
- fonts with kerning information that can be accessed via FreeType (drivers:
CFF, PFR, TrueType, Type 1)
- fonts that contain multiple masters / font variations (drivers: CFF,
TrueType, Type 1)
- CID-keyed fonts (drivers: CID Type 1, CFF)
- fonts that explore unicode variation sequences
(https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-glyph_variants.html)
(all drivers)

All fonts should be really small: they should only contain a handful of glyphs
(just enough to cover different/edgy aspects within a font).  Small does not
imply "simple" however:  "complicated" fonts of any shape and form are welcome
(many faces, many instances, combination of many aspects, ...).  Furthermore,
if possible, fonts should be licensed with the SIL Open Font License.

These are really the most important aspects at the moment;  thank you so much
upfront for looking into this :)

Armin