[ft-devel] Problem with `make refdoc'

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Problem with `make refdoc'
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2018 18:52:15 +0200 (CEST)

Nikhil,

running

  pip install --user docwriter

was successful!  However, if I now say

  make refdoc

I get

  $ make refdoc
  Running docwriter...
  python -m docwriter  \ [...]

  /usr/bin/python: No module named docwriter

Reason is that my `pip' is actually `pip3', while my `python' is
actually `python2.7'.  Sigh.  I guess this is due to the fact that
I've installed python3 on my openSuSE box after python2...

I thus suggest that you change the order of checked binaries for both
python and pip in `configure.raw':

  AC_CHECK_PROGS([PYTHON], [python3 python2 python], [missing])
  AC_CHECK_PROGS([PIP], [pip3 pip2 pip], [missing])

                             *  *  *

Some comments (after running `make refdoc' with python2.7).

* I see that there is `docs/reference/site/404.html'.  This looks
  strange.  I would rather expect this file to be the top-level entry
  point to the API reference (which actually is
  `docs/reference/site/ft2-toc/index.html').

    file:///.../docs/reference/site/ft2-toc/index.html

  in my browser(s) the search field doesn't work.  Is this expected?

* In Firefox, the magnifying glass left to the search field is
  displayed as a missing glyph 0xE8B6 (i.e., a box containing these
  four digits).  This doesn't happen if I go to

    https://www.dxdy.ooo/freetype-web-jekyll/docs/reference/ft2-toc/

  A similar issue happens for the small arrows in the left panel – it
  seems that you have to load the corresponding web font – 0xE8B6 and
  friends are characters from the Private Unicode Area (PUA); this
  means they are font-specific and not generic.

* In Chrome, after opening a submenu in the left panel, pressing F5 to
  reload the page doesn't close this submenu if I look at the local
  site.  However, looking at dxdy, it works as expected.

  [Note that Firefox doesn't close this even for dxdy – it would be
  nice if there is a JavaScript fix possible.]