Re: [ft-devel] PCF: Issues with lazy copy in `ft_bitmap_glyph_init'

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] PCF: Issues with lazy copy in `ft_bitmap_glyph_init'
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 09:26:36 +0100

>>> Why?
>>
>> Because it is meant to be used once followed by as many FT_Glyph_Copy
>> as you want.
>
> OK.  Armin, can you change your usage pattern to something like the
following?

>  FT_Load_Glyph( face, 0, 0 );
>  FT_Get_Glyph( face->glyph, &reference );
>
>  FT_Glyph_Copy( reference, &glyph1 );
>  FT_Done_Glyph( glyph1 );
>
>  FT_Glyph_Copy( reference, &glyph2 );
>  FT_Done_Glyph( glyph2 );
>
>  FT_Done_Glyph( reference );
>
> Together with an update of the documentation this doesn't look too bad
IMHO.

Mhm;  I mean I get it -- changing to deep copy here would also introduce
semantic changes which is never anything you really want in an API.

Just another proposal (feel free to decline!):  how about coming back to (3)
and introduce something like `FT_Get_Glyph_Deep'?  Internally, the same
logic could be used;  I would simply add a switch (bool var) that gets
propagated down to `ft_bitmap_glyph_init' to skip the lazy copy?  I could
even prepare the patch if you like, no work for anyone ;)