Re: [ft-devel] color framework

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] color framework
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 21:35:18 -0500

>> Just load and render those with FT_RENDER_MODE_BGRA.
>
> What was wrong with the existing code / model?

The current implementation relies on FT_LOAD_COLOR and is contrary to
FreeType design. Even ft2demos do not support it, besides ftview,
which is forced to copy the the entire rendering code. The rendering
code itself is a very special case in FT_Render_Glyph. It is a hack by
definition. FreeType is designed with modular renderers.

It only works in FT_Render_Glyph. FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap doesnot work. The
entire FT_Glyph infrastructure is side-tracked.

It is just better to maintain FreeType design principles: from
FT_LOAD_TAGET_BGRA to FT_RENDER_MODE_BGRA to FT_PIXEL_MODE_BGRA. This
is how FreeType is supposed to work, I think.