Re: [ft-devel] color framework

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] color framework
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:04:44 -0500

>>  Once the TrueType loader learns to combine
>> all layers into a single outline and fill color information, it is
>> good to go. Just load and render those with FT_RENDER_MODE_BGRA.
>
> What was wrong with the existing code / model?

C'mon guys! Admit that the current implementation has tons of flaws.

The render is not supposed to know anything about the layer indexes or
any other stuff from FT_Face or TT_Face. It is supposed to be
*separate*, receive only outline data and color and render the bitmap.
That is the essential proposal. It so happens that in order to
implement this we need to provide direct access to all outlines and
color data in FT_GlyphSlot. Luckily it is possible without breaking
anything. It is a good thing!!!

Sure, FT_LayerIterator and FT_Get_Color_Glyph_Layer becomes
unnecessary and we can get rid of it.. Those who need layer indexes
should get them though FT_LOAD_NO_RECURSE. The palette color index can
be appended to FT_SubGlyphRec too. The renderer is not supposed to
know the palette indexes because it comes from TT_Face. It is a good
thing to keep the render agnostic!!!

Yes, I would not want 2.10 to come out with the flawed color support.

Best regards,
Alexei