Re: [ft-devel] WOFF2 support in GSoC

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] WOFF2 support in GSoC
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 20:38:37 -0400

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 4:09 PM Nikhil Ramakrishnan <address@hidden> wrote:
A few questions:

* Are we looking at an implementation similar to WOFF (synthesize an
SFNT from the WOFF, and load the SFNT)? This will mean no API to read
WOFF2 metadata.

I think so. The metadata were in WOFF1 as well. They contain information usually packed into the 'name' table, but perhaps more structured. It is optional and can be added eventually.

* Although I am comfortable with the API, I have not directly worked
on the FreeType font processing sources. Is it practically possible to
understand it enough to implement this project in the GSoC time frame?

I hope so. It looks more like integration than new implementation.