Re: [ft-devel] CMake build system: some proposed changes

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] CMake build system: some proposed changes
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 18:07:12 -0400

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 5:32 PM Nikolaus Waxweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've been looking at some CMake issues filed over at Savannah. One ting
> that pops up in a few places is that some people do not expect CMake to
> autodetect external dependencies, which can lead to problems when e.g.
> baking packages for distribution.

I do not understand the problem. I do not think a user of our build
system is an expert who packages it for distribution. Our user is
likely happy that very few FreeType dependencies are autodetected. An
expert packager will probably add extra flags and override any
dependency. More so every expert has his own opinion and we cannot
accommodate them all.

>  This would also mean external dependencies are off by default.

Please do not screw average Joe the user. I consider there is only one
problem with CMake: it edits ftoption.h in one direction, which is
weird.