Re: [ft-devel] CMake build system: some proposed changes

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] CMake build system: some proposed changes
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 23:37:12 +0100

I do not understand the problem. I do not think a user of our build
system is an expert who packages it for distribution. Our user is
likely happy that very few FreeType dependencies are autodetected. An
expert packager will probably add extra flags and override any
dependency. More so every expert has his own opinion and we cannot
accommodate them all.

Mh, ok. Maybe I need to give an example of disabling all dependencies in the comments.

Please do not screw average Joe the user. I consider there is only one
problem with CMake: it edits ftoption.h in one direction, which is
weird.

I think it only feels weird because it's a different approach to configuring a project. What CMake can and Meson will do is make you use different out-of-source build folders for different configurations. I.e. you can have `build-debug`, `build-release-no-deps`, `build-debug-bundled-zlib`, `build-debug-system-zlib`, etc. side-by-side without them littering over each other. The workflow is that you create and configure the project into these build folders and then not touch what's inside. This is different to the lol-whatever approach usually taken by autotools-like build systems and is why I was thinking of option-alizing all of ftoptions.h. That can also be done by hand before configuring a build folder, so... meh.

What about making cmake emit a report after execution, similar to the
`configure' script, which also lists the cmake CLI options to switch
the corresponding features on or off?

After cmake execution a hint could be printed that guides people what
to do if further tweaks are necessary.

Sounds good.