Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC

From: Nikhil Ramakrishnan
Subject: Re: [Freetype-devel] Re: GSOC
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 11:46:48 +0530

Hello Anuj,

> > Does your computer have sufficient storage to install "Windows Subsystem
> > for Linux" ?
>
> I do have linux installed alongside windows (dual boot). But I mostly use
> Linux for testing cross platform applications or writing code specific to
> Linux.
> It's just that I have used Visual Studio since I started programming and I am
> most comfortable with it. But if it is necessary I will switch to Linux.

I have found that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) works well for
building FreeType and testing your module(s), if your preferred
development environment is Windows. You could have the repository set
up in your Windows file system (please mind the line-ending
differences while committing) and compile FreeType from WSL by
accessing your Windows drive (should be mounted as `/mnt/<drive
letter>` in WSL). You should also be able to use debugging and memory
testing tools from WSL if needed.

Nikhil