Re: Edge effect (Depressed) on a Pixmap buffer using freetype lib

From: Aurovind Sagar
Subject: Re: Edge effect (Depressed) on a Pixmap buffer using freetype lib
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 17:58:03 +0530

Hi Alexei,

We are using FreeType. Sorry, the intention was not to report any bug. We are looking for suggestions. We are not from graphics background, hence please excuse if we have asked any obvious questions.

As Niyas mentioned, everytime we write new stuff onto the pixmap it would overwrite that particular area. So the whole logic of creating edge effect by writing font at different positions with single pixmap is not helping.

We have 2 options in minds (not so concrete),
- If we can skip drawing of the pixels of non-font area in bounding box. Then we would not be overwriting. But this looks to be a bit tedious to implement.
- Create one more buffer which will have only edge drawing. And render both (one with actual font and a new with edge) in the order of edge buffer first and then font buffer.

As creating edge might be an usual need, we thought of seeking inputs from you & team.

Thanks
Sagar

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:43 PM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <apodtele@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now here the problem what we are facing is when we load the glyph we get the data in a bounding box. The glyph which is loaded is a greyscale and it is with bounding-box. So when we draw the edges and font as per the above logic, the bounding boxes of the edges and the font gets overlapped. Note, it is a pixmap buffer.

At this stage you are no longer using FreeType. So why do you report
your bug here? The bug is in whatever toolkit you use for blending or
in your code if you do blending yourself.