Re: Logging library

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: Logging library
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 10:08:13 -0700

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 9:53 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> I want to raise same concerns that David did in a thread a few
> months ago.
>
> I don't think a logging library is neither needed nor appropriate
> for FreeType.  Werner, can you please summarize why you think this
> is a good idea?

See

  https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2020-05/msg00148.html

for example.

It's not clear to me why there is so much concern.  The logging
library stuff will stay optional as a debugging aid and not be part of
the default production version of FreeType.  How could better logging
capabilities ever be a bad thing?

The logic just doesn't fly.

Logging libraries are used for collecting and filtering and storing logs *in production systems*.  What you seem to want is better debugging facilities.  That's it.

You seem to be on the camp of "how can more stuff be a bad idea."  More stuff *is* bad if those stuff don't serve a real purpose.  Maintenance cost increase is real.  Bloat is real.  Complexity is real.  FreeType needs *less* stuff, not *more*.  Same about adding metafont stuff in.  Same about how otvalid and gxvalid went in.  It's pile of unused untested unneeded crap.

FreeType needs to change focus.  And I trust David to know what he's doing.  And you are not listening to him either.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/