Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 10:47:58 +0530

Hi Armin,

>However, I could see how e.g. the usage of `FT_COMPONENT` could be slightly altered (or an additional macro introduced) if that helps with moving more functionality into the logger.
Please, could you provide more information on this...

Thanks,
Priyesh

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 3:24 PM <armin@hasitzka.com> wrote:
> No, I haven't thought in that direction as according to the requirements least
> coupling is favorable...

I think (but happy for everyone with other opinions to chime in + discuss) at this point the only real hard constraint in that regard is that we want to wrap the logger into FreeType specific macros and not expose it directly in the core codebase.  In addition, `FT_TRACE*` and `FT_ERROR` should not be replaced or changed (unless there is a really good reason that pretty much everyone agrees on).  However, I could see how e.g. the usage of `FT_COMPONENT` could be slightly altered (or an additional macro introduced) if that helps with moving more functionality into the logger.

As I understand it, parts of this project is to generally enhance tracing + logging within FreeType.  Apart from platform independent write-out, timestamps, custom callbacks, etc ...  this _could_, in my opinion, also include moving the handling of logging + tracing out of the core codebase (if / as much as this is reasonable) as this could open up a lot more flexibility down the road (depending on the logging library in question + should be discussed separately).  I believe that, once we are able to hook a specific logger into FreeType with just a few macros, replacing that logger might become a reasonably easy task, should requirements change.  Thus, unless Werner disagrees, I believe it would be interesting to explore that option and understand if / how easily this can be done (and to what extent).

Best
Armin