Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 14:55:38 +0530

Hi guys,

During the exploration phase, I have seen several libraries and according to me dlg is best suited for the requirements:
1. Printing logs to file
2. Dynamically change log levels and redirect logs to the desired output through the use of callback functions
3. Windows support
Other than dlg, I think zlog and log4c are also powerful logging libraries but they are not properly supported on windows...

Also, I have some concerns regarding Armin's previous mails:-
In previous mails, Armin suggested to move some of the FreeType's logging functionality to the external logger but according to my analysis, none of the external logging libraries that I have explored exactly matches the logging architecture of FreeType (i.e. logging based on debug level of components and debug levels of trace calls). According to me, this is not possible with dlg library but we could leverage the zlog or log4c for this requirement and we might have to make some changes in FreeType's current logging architecture. I am not sure if this will suit to Freetype clients. Requesting guidance from your side.
Please correct me if I am not understanding this requirement correctly :-)

Thanks,
Priyesh