Re: meson and logging support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: meson and logging support
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 05:29:16 +0000 (UTC)

>>> What message do you mean?
>>
>> What are you referring to?
>
> I was stumped by "I'm not completely happy about the message meson
> emits“.  Do you mean the red „No“?

Yes, and the message itself, which I admittedly abuse for testing a
local header file.  I don't want something dramatic, just a simple
test...

>> Here I definitely lack the flexibility of autoconf...  It's not
>> clear to me why a 'NO' answer must always be coloured in red.
>> IMHO, red should be reserved for severe problems.
>
> Hm. I can see Meson’s potential reasoning here.  It’s much more sane
> to have Meson at the center of configuration, rather than having
> arbitrary config sources ;) It _does_ provide a mechanism to
> generate a header file with your chosen configuration.

Well, yes, but I want exactly the opposite!  My problem is not related
to the generation of `ftoption.h` in the build directory.

(1) Edit manually the `ftoption.h` file (in the *source* directory).
    This is the standard way how debugging options are manipulated in
    FreeType.

(2) Call meson; it should parse `ftoption.h` and check whether
    `FT_DEBUG_LOGGING` is set.

(3) Check for threads support if yes.

There shouldn't be any drama (i.e., not showing a red 'NO') if the
test in (2) is negative.