Re: help needed for cmake problem (FreeType issue #897)

From: Tom Kacvinsky
Subject: Re: help needed for cmake problem (FreeType issue #897)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 09:56:55 -0500

Hi Werner,

I work extensively with cmake at my day job.  If the end consumer of
FreeType wants
to build their project using cmake, the there would be a need to make
cmake module
that could be used with cmake (which, to my delight, already exists).
The the user
could know how to link in bzip2 (there's plenty of tutorials on how to
do that since bzip2
doesn't have a pkgconfig file).

So I think the thrust of this issue is when people want to build
outside of cmake, and
the corresponding freetype.pc file can't find bzip2.pc.  SOme distros
have made .pc
files for bzip2 via patches to upstream, but for the life of me, I
don't understand _why_
they haven't submitted them for inclusion to bzip2.  In any case, that
does no good for
distributions that haven't taken the latest upstream.

But bzip2 seems to be pretty lightweight and has a license that
appears to be amenable
to the FreeType license, so why not just add it to the repo?