serving compressed images

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: serving compressed images
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 23:32:10 -0500

Hi All,

As Werner is working on improving the SBIX table support
(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freetype/freetype/-/merge_requests/139),
a topic of compressed images came up. Right now, FreeType depends on
libpng to uncompress PNG, but SBIX can have TIFF and JPEG. So I was
wondering if we should even bother uncompressing those. FreeType could
just serve compressed data. With SBIX, FreeType could still match the
best strike to the requested size but then just deliver
FT_GLYPH_FORMAT_IMAGE with a tag, some minimal metadata, and raw bytes
under FT_GlyphSlot->other.

This would be quite similar to the SVG plans currently slated for the
next release, i.e., we delegate uncompressing and rendering to a
client.

Is there interest in such a feature?

Thanks,
Alexei