Re: Question about FT_Var_Axis

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Question about FT_Var_Axis
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:28:37 +0000 (UTC)

> The fields minimum, def, and maximum are 16.16 fractional values for
> TrueType GX and OpenType variation fonts. For Adobe MM fonts, the
> values are integers.
>
> Does this mean those variables are represented as 16.16 fractional
> numbers or integers in some cases?

Correct.

> If so, how can I recognize if it is GX/OpenType fonts or Adobe MM
> fonts?

Basically, it doesn't make a difference.  Either all three variables
`minimum`, `def, and `maximum` are in 16.16 format, or all of them are
integers.  It's just a matter how to report them to the user.

If macro `FT_IS_SFNT` returns false, you have an Adobe MM font.

> Someone reported Apple's SF Pro font has wider kerning after the
> following code added to fontconfig: [...]

The division by 65536 looks right.

> So I'm wondering if they may have opsz in integers.

AFAIK, no.