Re: Infinality removal (Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 299, Issue 99)

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: Infinality removal (Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 299, Issue 99)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 17:24:55 -0400

Dear Hin-Tak,

> If it is all the same to you, I'd prefer it to say, but I guess I'll end up
> maintaining a revert in the FontVal fork. There is incentive in the FontVal
> backend to keep this, to match the Microsoft rastering backend.

I could not find any references to Infinality or
TT_INTERPRETER_VERSION_38  or FT_Property_Set in your Font-Validator
repository. I was actually curious how it is useful to you. Are you
sure that you use it? Please help me understand how you prefer v38 to
v40. Even if you assume that v38 is very popular, please explain why
you think so. I am actually very interested to find out. Thank you
very much in advance.

No, it is not all the same to me. I care very much  that Infinality
makes it a lot harder to maintain the FreeType code base.  Infinality
is very invasive and to my knowledge nobody touched it with a 6 foot
long pole once it was merged. The author disappeared. My experience
was that v40 has the same quality but a lot faster. That is our
default for 6 years now. Full verbatim v35 hinting is here to stay, of
course.

If there is no misunderstanding here, this might actually be a good
idea to maintain Infinality as an external patch. Paradoxically, this
might actually create better support and community around it.

Best regards,
Alexei