Re: A DVI viewer with freetype2

From: Werner Lemberg
Subject: Re: A DVI viewer with freetype2
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:27:43 +0200 (MET DST)

> > > I am switchIng from VFLib to freetype2, but I found myself without
> > > time to do the job. Is anyone interested in taking over the VFLib
> > > -> freetype2 conversion? I will be happy to provide any help you
> > > may need, and you'll become the co-author :)
> >
> > The very problem is lack of autoconf support in FT2, I think.  If
> > this has been added, integration of FT2 into VFlib should be rather
> > simple.
>
> Thanks, but my goal is actually not to use VFlib, it is a little big
> for my purposes, and I think freetype2 is providing the same type of
> functionality as VFlib - it suffices for someone to write a PK module
> for freetype2, for example. Since my DVI viewer will use only Type1
> fonts, however, there is no need for VFlib if all the functionality is
> in freetype2:
>
> "you'll have to install VFlib in order to compile the dvi viewer, and
> you'll have to install freetype2 in order to compile VFlib"
>
> by not using VFlib I get rid of the middle man (that is, if someone
> wants to make the conversion :)

Doing this will make people in CJK countries not very happy since you
remove CJK support...

VFlib is a marvellous piece of software (with some rough edges, though),
and I would prefer if people really use it in the Western world -- have
you ever looked into VFlib's companion package, TeX-Guy?  For example, it
comes with a X DVI previewer which has been written with 400 lines only!

    Werner