Re: FreeType 2 questions

From: Juliusz . Chroboczek_at_ens . fr
Subject: Re: FreeType 2 questions
Date: 15 Apr 2000 13:50:56 +0100

DT> For now, there is no direct support to retrieve the font format of a
DT> given font. However, you can do something like this:

Looks reasonable.

DT> For now, there is no interface but it should be easy to add using
DT> a procedural API "a la" FreeType 1.x. Which tables are you interested
DT> in precisely ??

Head, OS/2, post, hmtx.

>> On an unrelated note, could someone explain where the autohinter fits
>> in?

DT> The auto-hinter is capable of performing real-time auto-hinting for
DT> a given font, only using the outlines found in it. It already works
DT> with TrueType and Type 1 fonts..

Right.  But how do you decide whether to use it or not?  I suspect
that you don't want to always autohint (so as not to interfere with
quality hints), so how do you determine when to apply it?  Is it the
application's responsibility to decide that?

Thanks,

                                        J.