Re: Font names

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: Font names
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:46:54 +0200

Mark Holdgrafer wrote:

> I have been trying to extract the name field of fonts lately and have
> found that some are eight bit character strings and others are 16.  How
> does one tell them apart, aside from looking for a NULL in the wrong
> place?

The _encoding_ used to select the names gives the clue.

To make it short:
- for the platform Apple Unicode (id=0), all encodings are 16-bit
- for the platform Microsoft (id=3), all encoding seem to be 16-bit
- for the platform Apple (id=1), all encoding are 8-bit AFAIK, but
   sometimes Japanese (encoding=1), Chinese (2 or 25) and Korean (3)
   uses uniform 16-bit characters (even for ASCII characters) where
   one can expect DBCS (mixed 8-/16-bit)
- platform ISO (id=2) is deprecated, I do not believe you will
   encounter it anyway

Hope it helps,

Antoine