Introducing myself and the GIMP FreeType project

From: Sven Neumann
Subject: Introducing myself and the GIMP FreeType project
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 01:06:52 +0200

Hi,

Please excuse that I have choosen to crosspost this announcement to
address@hidden and address@hidden, but I thought it might be of
interest to both lists and I wanted to introduce myself shortly.

My name is Sven Neumann and I'm hacking The GIMP for some time now.
Since font support in The GIMP is miserable, Jens Lautenbacher and
me decided to develop a plug-in for gimp-1.2 using FreeType2. That
work might become a tool or a pluggable module later (for gimp-2.0
most probably). So far we have some proof-of-concept code that you
can checkout from gnome-cvs as module gimp-freetype. There's also
a small webpage at http://sven.gimp.org/freetype/.

Right now we are building upon the freetype2-beta5 release and we
shamelessly link to some code that is only found in the demos
directory (the smooth renderer). I am curious if that code is going
into the library soon, since we more or less rely on it. We will not
release code as a tarball until this is part of the library, so
right now only a few developers have access to the plug-in.

Any suggestions, criticism,  help, patches, etc. are welcome.

Salut, Sven