Re: Order of outlines in a glyph

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: Order of outlines in a glyph
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 14:49:24 +0200

Hi,

> Hello Freetypers,
>
> is there a rule in the TT-specs, saying how outlines are to be ordered
> in a glyph ?
> Usually inner boundaries (if any) are immediately following their
> corresponding outer boundaries, but I found some symbol fonts
> where 'islands' are before or much behind their outer boundary
> and this causes some trouble in my app, which directly processes
> the outlines.

the TrueType and Type 1 specification strictly indicates the direction
of "outer" versus "inner" contours. However, the contours can appear
in any order in any glyph shape.

Note that it's not that unusual to find some symbol fonts using
the incorrect convention in a font file. This makes things hard
for the auto-hinter too..

> Has anybody written a 'resequencer' for ill outlines ?

Nope, sorry..

- David