I cannot figure out where to put the baseline...

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: I cannot figure out where to put the baseline...
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:23:22 -0700

I cannot figure out where to place the baseline
from the FreeType documentation. Once I know
where to place the baseline, it is simple enough
to calculate where to blit the character and where
to advance the pen.

If you want to write a text editor, you need to know
the distance from the top of the full character cell
down to the baseline (shown as "???" below). I cannot
find out how to figure out this value from the FreeType
documentation. It certainly is not equal to the Y bearing
of any character, and it certainly isn't equal to the
ascender for the character (since Y bearing is often
greater than the ascender).

So how do I find out what it is? The documentation doesn't
seem to tell you how to do this rather important thing.

----------------------------------  -|

         *         -|                |
      *     *       |Y Bearing       |

+   => Current pen position at baseline.
??? => Unknown distance that I need to know.