Re: [Freetype] face->max_advance_width and the FreeType backend for XFre

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Freetype] face->max_advance_width and the FreeType backend for XFree86
Date: 18 Apr 2002 17:30:17 +0100

DT> I think it was a bug in the Type 1 driver that was fixed in 2.1.0
DT> Could you tell me if it still persists ??

It's more reasonable, but still not quite consistent between Type 1
and TrueType.  This may very well be the correct behaviour, though, as
the TrueType versions have much larger glyph coverage.

So that brings us back to my question: anybody have an idea about a
heuristic to provide a reasonable approximation of a font's average
width?

TrueType:

  Times New Roman: 2.000 em
  Arial: 2.000 em