[Freetype] Anti-Aliasing: Gnome2 vs. Kde3

From: mauro agrosi
Subject: [Freetype] Anti-Aliasing: Gnome2 vs. Kde3
Date: 19 May 2003 16:20:13 +0200

Hi to all...
I've just installed the latest Slackware, one of my preferred distro.
I've also installed the latest Freetype compiling from source and
disabling the bytecode interpeter and now the fonts rendering quality is
much better.
Gnome 2.2.1 look fine but not so fine as in my RedHat 8, is a little
difference but...why?
I'm using the same fonts, the same release of Xfree (4.3.0)...
As do in RH8, i've also forced the Slack to use (obviously) xft and xfs
as well (now the Fontpath point to "unix/:7100") without improvement.
Where is the trick? :-)
The greatest difference related to RH is now with Kde, here there isn't
story! I've installed Kde 3.1.1 from source, i've compiled QT enabling
xft and xrender but activating the AA the result is absolutely worse.
Fonts are less corpulent and rounded...another story!
Futhermore, in RH kde is able tu use the same fonts of Gnome, here is
impossible. Fonts like "sans" (used by default in Gtk2 apps under
Gnome2) simply don't appears in Kde!
In RedHat8 i can use the same fonts in either DE with fantastic results
and with same quality.
This don't work in Slack....i'm confused! :O
Anyone can help me please?
Many thanx to all!